A learning disability elective abroad puts you right there in the action.
Imagine yourself in a hospital in the developing world learning how local nurses care for patients with learning disabilities. Learning disabilities have only recently come into focus in many countries. So it's no surprise that you’ll see real and confronting issues right at the source.
You'll see some issues stemming from a lack of resources — low staff to patient ratios, limited specialised training, a lack of equipment... But you will see other issues, like prejudices and misconceptions surrounding mental learning disabilities, stemming from cultural and religious beliefs.
You'll see big clinical differences...
While you're on this trip you’ll see:
- Under-resourced Special Educational Schools
- A greater stigma around disability than you’re used to at home
- Students given work placements in farming or weaving
- Religion has a significant influence on care
- Autism, Cerebral Palsy and Down's syndrome treated differently
Here’s one huge ADDED bonus…
Your evenings and weekends are free to do some proper travelling with new friends from the Work the World house.
Here are some once-in-a-lifetime adventures you can check off your bucket list:
- Get up close to wild elephants, lions and giraffes on safari
- Swim with curious sea turtles in warm tropical waters
- Trek up to Machu Picchu and get lost in Angkor Wat
- Stay up late at legendary paradise beach parties
- Hike (or paraglide!) through the Himalayan Mountains
By the end of this trip you Will:
- Have rare clinical experience that sets you apart from other nurses
- Be much more confident and ready to take on new challenges
- Give your CV the wow-factor to help you land your dream job
- Have a global network you can tap into to boost your nursing career
- Collect a lifetime’s worth of stories to share with your friends
This trip — tailored specifically to you — gives you everything you need to succeed. We are completely confident saying that this trip will teach you what you’re capable of. By the time you get back to the UK, you’ll feel ready for anything.
Here's what we're offering...
This is the kind of trip you only take once, so it needs to be right first time. You need to know you're in experienced hands.
We are the experts in planning, customising, and building learning disability nursing electives abroad. We were founded in 2005, so we’re the longest-running (most experienced) elective organisation out there.
We’ve created unique electives for 13,000+ students around the world who have independently rated us 4.8 out of 5.
With us you get a one-to-one service that includes:
- A supervised overseas elective in your choice of departments
- Complete preparation process before you go
- Accommodation in a private, catered house
- Language lessons
- A 24/7 in-country team to support you
LET US show you what your personalised elective trip LOOKS like.
We’d love the chance to show you what your own personalised elective trip could look like.
You tell us which destinations and departments you’re interested, and whether you want to travel by yourself or with a group of uni friends (you're welcome to do either). We'll then paint you a picture of what your trip will look like.
All we do is give you the information you need to see if our elective placements are for you. If not, no problem.
Drop your details in the form below and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.