pokhara and beyond
- Pokhara is… “A relaxed lakeside city in the lush green foothills of the Himalaya”
- Hike up Sarangkot to see the sunrise light up snowy peaks
- Kayak across the lake and walk up to the peace pagoda for staggering views of Pokhara valley
- Paraglide above Phewa Lake, go whitewater rafting and bungee jumping, trek through the Annapurna mountains
- Feel at home in an easygoing culture, with Indian and East Asian cultural influences
- Village Healthcare Week: Live in a mountain village with the Gurung people and learn about rural healthcare and community life
Team and accommodation
The spacious house in Pokhara will act as your base during your placement. There are bright airy rooms and spectacular views of the surrounding area from the rooftop terrace. You’ll make friends from all over the world and will soon be exploring the country together at weekends. The house is completely private and secure, which creates a chilled-out environment.
Your Programme Manager and their assistant run the house and will provide 24/7 support. You’ll also have a housekeeper, a chef who’ll cook you two incredible meals every day (weekly BBQ nights are a lot of fun), and a language teacher who hosts lessons twice a week.
VILLAGE HEALTHCARE WEEK
In addition to your main placement in Pokhara, for one week you’ll have the chance to become part of a rural village family up in the Himalayan Mountains.
In the mornings you’ll spend time in a health outpost treating villagers with even fewer resources than the hospitals have.
The afternoons are all about getting to grips with local culture, customs and community. You’ll be accompanied by our guide and you can get involved in things like bread making, trying out traditional clothing, hiking to Hindu temples, taking part in cooking lessons, and visiting village schools.
Electives in Nepal - Pokhara
"My experience in Nepal has been fantastic, it has been the best thing I have ever done and I would go back in a heartbeat!"
Jade Skerritt, Anglia Ruskin University 2017Read more
"Every day I had a new, amazing, memorable experience."
Lily Hosie, Glasgow Caledonian University 2017Read more
"Culturally, the Village Healthcare Week was a really great experience."
TOM NOTEMAN, QUEENS UNIVERSITY BELFAST 2017Read more
"X-rays were constantly taken with multiple patients and family in the room".
Alison Clarke, Birmingham City University 2015Read more
"I would definitely recommend this program, all the Nepalese people are wonderful".
Madison Heil, University of San Francisco 2015Read more