Batangas and Beyond
- Batangas is… “A university city with Spanish colonial influences, yet steeped in proud Filipino tradition and surrounded by tropical islands and warm clear seas.”
- Tour the grand ancestral houses for a taste of the city’s history, and join in colourful year-round street festivals
- Sail to Puerto Galera for secluded paradise beaches, dive spots, an active nightlife
- Hike up to the crater of Taal Volcano, and explore the floating walkways in the mangrove forest
- The people of Batangas will go out of their way to welcome you. Lovers of food, they will make sure you’re well fed
- Village Healthcare Week: Live for a week in a rural village community learning their way of life and how healthcare is delivered away from the city
TEAM AND ACCOMMODATION
Our house lies just over the river from the centre of Batangas and was chosen for its amazing location and views. This contemporary yet quirky house has multiple terraces and fantastic views across the province. Across three floors there are spaces, each with a different feel, where you can socialise with new friends.
Your Programme Manager and their assistant run the house and will provide 24/7 support. You’ll also have a housekeeper, a chef who’ll cook you two incredible meals every day (weekly BBQ nights are a lot of fun), and a language teacher who hosts lessons twice a week
VILLAGE HEALTHCARE WEEK
We highly recommend undertaking this additional week in a rural Philippine village. A complete contrast to your city-based placement in Batangas, you’ll live surrounded by nature, as a member of a remote jungle community.
In the mornings, you’ll work in a nearby health outpost, tackling cases from the local township. You’ll be free in the afternoons to immerse yourself in local culture and tradition, including learning how to harvest coconuts and make tribal bracelets, mangrove planting, waterfall treks, traditional fishing with the local fishermen in canoes, weaving and traditional cooking lessons.
Electives in The Philippines - Batangas
"It was a testament to the World the World service that the placement far exceeded my expectations."
Adam Garrard, Brighton & Sussex Medical School 2017Read more
"The team in the UK are amazing at the pre-departure process, which made everything so easy. It really was hassle-free".
Laura Kent, University of Worcester 2017Read more