Lusaka and Beyond
- Lusaka is… “Zambia’s eclectic, yet unmistakably African capital city, with everything from bustling handicraft markets to popular bars and restaurants"
- Peer over the edge of Victoria Falls, and go whitewater rafting on the Zambezi River
- Get close to elephants, lions, rhino, zebra, and giraffe
- Visit Siavonga for lakeside beaches, boat rides and beers while the sun goes down
- Zambian people are proud of their country and passionate about sharing everything it offers
- Rural Health Week: To understand the challenges of delivering healthcare in a rural setting, spend a week with a rural community
TEAM AND ACCOMMODATION
The interior of the Lusaka house has a welcoming feel, and has spacious living areas. With a lounge, dining room, bedrooms and balconies you’ll have ample room to socialise with your housemates. The outdoor area will allow you to enjoy the warm weather or find some shade to relax with a book.
The Programme Manager and their assistant run the house, providing 24/7 support. There is also a housekeeper, a chef who’ll cook you two incredible meals every day (weekly BBQ nights included), and a language teacher who hosts lessons twice a week.
RURAL HEALTHCARE WEEK
In addition to your city-based placement in Lusaka, spending an extra week in a rural village is an amazing way to gain an understanding of Zambian culture at it's most authentic.
In the mornings you’ll attend the village’s healthcare centre that helps treat the local population. In the afternoons, you’ll get a lesson in local culture as you spend time engaging in all manner of activities, from learning how to cook local dishes, to exploring the beautiful surroundings.
Electives in this destination
"Step outside your comfort zone. Just go for it. I was hesitant at first, but I’m so glad I took the plunge."
Becky Farley, University of Surrey 2018Read more
"Our guide spotted lion tracks just a couple of meters from our camp..."
Robyn Mayer, Chester University 2018Read more
If you’re thinking about going on a placement abroad, I couldn’t recommend it enough!
Ellena Gilson, University of Birmingham 2018Read more
"It was, 100%, the best thing I’ve ever done."
Jasmine Wright, Bournemouth University 2018Read more
"One of my patients had been bitten by a python!"
Jenna Prather, Parkland College 2018Read more