MERIDA AND BEYOND
- Merida is… “Mexico’s centre of sophistication, home to beautiful colonial architecture offering a real Latin-American feel.”
- Head to Progreso or Cancun for beaches, blue skies and bustling nightlife
- Visit awe-inspiring ancient Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza
- Swim in cenotes—stunning underground water-filled caves
- The people of Merida will proudly welcome you to the beautiful cultural centre in which they live
TEAM AND ACCOMMODATION
Our house, found in a trendy suburban district in Merida, boasts beautiful architecture and is both spacious and welcoming. The large lounge areas, dining room, and bedrooms provide ample room to unwind and socialise with new housemates.
Running the house are the Programme manager and their assistant — they’ll also provide 24/7 support should you need it. There is also a chef who’ll cook two meals per-day (weekly BBQ nights included), a housekeeper, and a language teacher who hosts lessons twice a week.
INTENSIVE SPANISH COURSE
This week-long Intensive Spanish Course has been specially designed to help you get the most from your hospital placement in Merida. If your Spanish isn’t quite up to scratch, this programme will bring you up to a conversational level. The course is crafted with healthcare students in mind. The course caters for the department and discipline you’ll be placed in, but you’ll also learn useful day-to-day phrases in both one-to-one and group sessions.
Electives in this destination
"Many patients who needed the hospital made less than 100 Pesos per day. A basic eye ultrasound cost 800 Pesos."
Akash Dharni, University of Leeds 2018Read more
"There was no pain relief for women in labour—no epidurals, no gas and air, nothing."
Emma Knights, University of East Anglia 2018Read more
"I’m so much more comfortable being myself now, and I feel stronger and more confident as a person."
Refa Begum, Cardiff University 2018Read more
"I saw a lot of manual treatment due to a lack of equipment."
Amy Richards, Cardiff University 2018Read more