Arequipa and beyond
- Arequipa is… “A city of music and dancing — built from white stone, Arequipa is besieged by three volcanoes in the middle of the Peruvian Andes.”
- Trek along the misty Inca Trail to reach the ruined citadel of Machu Picchu, with breathtaking vistas at the top
- Trek through the Amazon, go white-water rafting, climb a dormant volcano, and visit the floating villages
- Arequipeños have a rich cultural and traditional heritage and will quickly warm to you
- Intensive Spanish Week: Spend a week brushing up on your Spanish skills with a focus on clinical words and phrases to help you get the most from your experience
TEAM AND ACCOMMODATION
The Arequipa house is located in a residential neighbourhood, 20 minutes from Arequipa's main tourism hub. This house has a peaceful vibe, and has plenty of space to relax; from the rooftop terrace where you can catch glimpses of the stunning volcanoes that loom over the city, to the sun room on the first floor where you can socialise with new friends. With an average of 300 days of sunshine every year, you will find yourself as much outside as inside.
Your Programme Manager and their assistant run the house and will provide 24/7 support. You’ll also have a housekeeper, a chef who’ll cook you two incredible meals every day (the weekly BBQ night is a lot of fun), and a language teacher who hosts lessons twice a week.
INTENSIVE SPANISH WEEK
Our one-week Intensive Spanish Course (ISC) has been specifically designed to help you prepare for your placement in Peru. If you don't already speak Spanish at a conversational level, this programme will bring you up to speed. You'll enjoy 30 hours of small group lessons crafted with healthcare students in mind. The course includes two days focusing on medical history-taking, and specifics around other departments you'll be working in. We have worked with the local language school for a number of years and they tailor the course specifically for our students. To add another string to your bow, book this course today and gain the confidence you need to experience a placement that is the perfect complement to your elective in Peru.
Electives in Peru - Arequipa
"The economic burden had an enormous impact on the local healthcare system’s availability to deliver the 'gold standard' care I was used to seeing in the UK."
Cody Thorndyke, University of East Anglia 2018Read more
"Work the World’s Intensive Spanish Course really helped to improve my medical Spanish."
Yara van Dijk, 2018Read more
"I learnt a huge amount about practicing medicine with fewer resources, which was eye-opening."
Harjas Shinmar, King's College London 2018Read more
"Husbands and partners weren’t allowed into the unit, which was so different when compared with the UK."
Genevieve Alsop, London South Bank University 2018Read more
"I was in an approachable environment with some of the most open-minded and patient-devoted clinicians I’ve ever met."
Seamus Dines-Muntaner, Queensland University of Technology 2018Read more