Dar es Salaam and beyond
- Dar es Salaam is… “A metropolitan city with African, Arabic, German and Indian cultural influences.”
- Dive off Zanzibar Island’s paradisiacal coastline or soak up sunshine on its white-sand beaches
- Spot The Big 5 on a once-in-a lifetime safari
- Shop for handmade crafts in the bazaars and markets, laid-back bars and restaurants with live music
- Dar is a cultural melting pot — people are open and will welcome you with ‘jambo!’, meaning hello in Swahili
- Village Healthcare Week: Spend an extra week with a rural African mountain community learning about healthcare provision and local traditions
TEAM AND ACCOMMODATION
The Dar es Salaam house is set in a huge garden a few hundred metres from a beach on the Indian Ocean. The main building acts as a social area, and the bedrooms in two separate private cottages within the complex — this lets you balance between having time and space to yourself, and socialising with new friends.
Your Programme Manager and their assistant run the house and will provide 24/7 support. You’ll also have a housekeeper, a chef who’ll cook you two incredible meals every day (weekly BBQ nights are a lot of fun), and a language teacher who hosts lessons twice a week
VILLAGE HEALTHCARE WEEK
In addition to your main placement in Dar es Salaam, for one week you’ll have the opportunity to become part of an African village community based in a remote location on the western side of the Uluguru Mountains. In the mornings, you’ll get experience in a busy primary healthcare clinic seeing how care is provided in a rural setting, making it the perfect complement to your time in the city.
In your free time you’ll take part in many local activities. This includes cycling to the sugar cane plantations, visiting nearby waterfalls, visiting local primary schools, and learning traditional drumming and dancing.
Electives in Tanzania - Dar es Salaam
"I would definitely recommend a Work the World placement. I’d go back to Dar es Salaam tomorrow if I could."
Rachael Bowis, Manchester Metropolitan University 2017Read more
"I highly recommend a Work the World overseas placement".
Tamalee Henson, University of Western Australia 2017Read more
"I would absolutely recommend this experience to anyone considering it".
Samantha Scoggin, University of Michigan 2017Read more
"I can honestly say it is the best decision I have ever made."
Julia Mooney, Glasgow Caledonian University 2016Read more
"Exposure to this has helped me to develop both clinically and emotionally".
Katie Yates: A Photo Review, University of Sheffield 2016Read more