A child nursing elective abroad puts you at the heart of the action
Get eye-opening experience in a hospital in the developing world. Learn how local culture, customs and resource shortages affect how nurses care for patients, and discover that the 6Cs are a luxury we take for granted.
You’ll see local nurses improvising clinical techniques on the spot, and patients with advanced-stage conditions you’ve only read about, like malaria and dengue fever.
You can get experience on pediatric wards and even in specialist pediatric hospitals. But you can also go off branch and get experience in areas like A&E and oncology if you want a more varied experience.
While you're on the wards you’ll see:
- A greater number of malnourished children than you'd see in the UK
- High numbers of children with severe burns
- Overcrowded paediatric wards with limited staff numbers
- Increased instances of neonatal sepsis
- Families required to supply children's equipment like saline and bandages
Once-in-a-lifetime adventure experiences
Spend your evenings and weekends exploring your chosen destination with new friends from the Work the World house.
This is your chance to have make unforgettable memories — you could:
- Stay up late at legendary parties on tropical beaches
- Get up close to wild elephants, lions and giraffes on safari
- Swim with curious sea turtles in warm tropical waters
- Hike (or paraglide!) through snow-capped Mountains
By the end of your trip you Will:
- Gain perspective that reframes your view of the NHS
- Build your confidence by stepping out of your comfort zone
- Get a competitive edge that boosts your career
- Collect story-worthy travel memories to share with friends back home
Your trip is tailored to you, so offers what you personally need to have an experience you will never forget. You'll find out what you’re capable of and by the time you get home, you’ll feel ready for anything.
Here's what you get:
- A supervised overseas elective in your choice of departments
- Complete preparation process before you go
- Accommodation in a private, catered house
- Language lessons
- A 24/7 in-country team to support you
This is the kind of trip you only take once, so it needs to be right first time. You need to know you're in experienced hands.
We are the experts in planning, customising, and building nursing electives abroad. We were founded in 2005, so we’re the longest-running and most experienced elective organisation there is.
We’ve created unique electives for 18,000+ students and graduates around the world who have independently rated us 4.8 out of 5.
What might your personalised elective trip LOOK like?
It's easy to find out — get in touch today to tell us which destinations and departments you’re interested in, and our experts will give you a clear idea of the many options availabe to you.
We dedicate 100% of our time to building and overseeing quality overseas elective placements. So you get total peace of mind knowing that we have the best understanding of what makes a perfect overseas healthcare elective. You'll get support tailored to your needs every step of the way, including the safety aspects of the placement.
Take your first step towards your own once-in-a-lifetime overseas experience by getting in touch today to see what’s possible.
What do our child nursing electives offer?
A Work the World child nursing elective abroad gives you the chance to undertake a clinical placement in the developing world. You will spend time in a low-resource hospital and see unfamiliar practices and advanced conditions.
What are the benefits of a child nursing elective with Work the World?
The benefits of our child nursing electives include:
- Getting invaluable clinical experience in the field
- Making yourself more attractive to employers
- Building your professional network
- Doing some proper travelling
How long is a child nursing elective with Work the World?
A child nursing elective is as long as you want it to be. Our minimum placement duration is one week, but students typically travel on their nursing electives for 4 weeks. There is no upper limit to how long you can travel for.
What is a child nursing elective?
A child nursing elective placement is your opportunity to get some real-world experience in a clinical setting. Undertaking your nursing elective placement overseas massively expands the scope of what you'll be able to achieve. It also looks great to employers as it shows your passion for your vocation.