A Mental Health PLACEMENT ABROAD puts you right there in the action.
Imagine yourself in a hospital in the developing world learning how local nurses care for patients with mental health issues. Mental health conditions have only recently come into focus, even in the most progressive countries. So it's no surprise that you’ll see real and confronting issues right at the source.
You'll see some issues stemming from a lack of resources — low staff to patient ratios, limited specialised training, a lack of equipment... But you will see other issues, like prejudices and misconceptions surrounding mental health issues, stemming from cultural and religious beliefs.
You can get experience in psychiatric wards and specialised mental health wards, but you can also go off branch and experience other areas of nursing like A&E and OBG.
You'll see big clinical differences...
While you're on the wards you’ll see:
- Some countries decades behind in awareness and practise
- Extremely under-resourced psychiatric departments
- Social stigma around mental illnesses
- Consultations taking place in front of other patients
- A widespread use of ECT under general anaesthetic
Here’s one huge ADDED bonus…
Your evenings and weekends are free to do some proper travelling with new friends from the Work the World house.
Here are some once-in-a-lifetime adventures you can check off your bucket list:
- Get up close to wild elephants, lions and giraffes on safari
- Swim with curious sea turtles in warm tropical waters
- Trek trough lush green paddy fields
- Stay up late at legendary paradise beach parties
- Hike (or paraglide!) through the Himalayan Mountains
By the end of this trip you Will:
- Have rare clinical experience that sets you apart from other nurses
- Be much more confident and ready to take on new challenges
- Give your CV the wow-factor to help you land your dream job
- Have a global network you can tap into to boost your nursing career
- Collect a lifetime’s worth of stories to share with your friends
This trip — tailored specifically to you — gives you everything you need to succeed. We are completely confident saying that this trip will teach you what you’re capable of. By the time you get back to the UK, you’ll feel ready for anything.
Here's what we're offering...
This is the kind of trip you only take once, so it needs to be right first time. You need to know you're in experienced hands.
We are the experts in planning, customising, and building mental health nursing placements abroad. We were founded in 2005, so we’re the longest-running (most experienced) elective organisation out there.
We’ve created unique electives for 17,000+ students around the world who have independently rated us 4.8 out of 5.
With us you get a one-to-one service that includes:
- A supervised overseas elective in your choice of departments
- Complete preparation process before you go
- Accommodation in a private, catered house
- Language lessons
- A 24/7 in-country team to support you
LET US show you what your personalised elective trip LOOKS like.
We’d love the chance to show you what your own personalised mental health elective abroad could look like.
You tell us which destinations and departments you’re interested, and whether you want to travel by yourself or with a group of uni friends (you're welcome to do either). We'll then paint you a picture of what your trip will look like. All we do is give you the information you need to see if our elective placements are for you. If not, no problem.
For more information, complete the short enquiry form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
What is a mental health nursing placement?
A mental health nursing placement is your opportunity to get some real-world experience in a clinical setting. Undertaking your mental health nursing placement overseas massively expands the scope of what you'll be able to achieve. It also looks great to employers as it shows your passion for your vocation.
What do our mental health nursing placements offer?
A Work the World mental health placement gives you the chance to undertake a clinical placement in the developing world. You will spend time in a low-resource hospital and you'll see low staff to patient ratios, limited specialised training, and even prejudices and misconceptions surrounding mental health issues, stemming from cultural and religious beliefs. Read more.
What are the benefits of a mental health nursing placement with Work The World?
The benefits of our mental health nursing placements include:
- Getting invaluable clinical experience in the field
- Making yourself more attractive to employers
- Building your professional network
- Doing some proper travelling
What countries can I travel to on a mental health nursing placement with Work The World?
How long is a mental health nursing placement with Work The World?
A mental health nursing placement is as long as you want it to be. Our minimum placement duration is one week, but students typically travel on their nursing electives for 4 weeks. There is no upper limit to how long you can travel for. Read more.