Iloilo and Beyond
- Iloilo is… “A city with an eclectic culture, yet distinctly Filipino — Spanish colonial architecture, traditional festivals, tropical beaches, and shopping malls included.”
- Journey through the mango plantations on Guimaras Island, and relax in a fire-heated bath in the mountains
- Party on Boracay Island’s pristine beaches, and hop by boat between the unspoilt Gigantes Islands
- Iloilo’s inhabitants are open-hearted and often in an infectiously good mood with ear-to-ear smiles
- Village Healthcare Experience: Live for a week as an honorary member of the Ati tribe where you’ll observe healthcare traditions and local culture
TEAM AND ACCOMMODATION
Our house is located in an affluent neighbourhood just north of the Iloilo River. The house has impressive views across the river to Molo Church, and out to the island of Guimaras. The roof terrace is perfect for watching year-round sunsets. Over three floors, there’s plenty of space to socialise with new friends — be it over a meal in the dining room, or in the well-furnished living spaces.
Your Programme Manager and assistant run the house, providing 24/7 support. You’ll have a housekeeper, a chef who’ll cook you two meals every day (weekly BBQ nights included), and a language teacher who hosts lessons twice a week.
VILLAGE HEALTHCARE EXPERIENCE
In addition to your main placement in Iloilo, spending a week on the Ati tribe’s island offers a once-in-a-lifetime experience. First you’ll meet the tribal Chief and receive a village orientation. Then in the mornings you'll be based at a local health clinic & district hospital learning how to treat all manner of illnesses with extremely limited resources. This is the perfect complement for all Philippines placements.
Your afternoons are free and you’ll enjoy activities like learning weaving, handicrafts and herbal medicines, island hopping around the coast, and playing traditional Filipino games. The barbecue and traditional dancing at the end of your stay is the perfect end to all healthcare placements in The Philippines.
Electives in the Philippines - Iloilo
"In the rehabilitation center, I saw things I had never seen during my training in Belgium..."
Anouk Vertonghen, 2018Read more
"You’ll look back on this part of your university life and think, ‘I wish I could go and do it all again’"
Jahrell Romain, University of Hertfordshire 2018Read more
Going abroad on my own was one of the scariest choices I have ever made. But it turned out to be the most rewarding experience I have ever had.
Colette McGreevy, Manchester Metropolitan University 2018Read more
"My housemates helped to make my experience one I will be forever grateful for."
Ella Thompson, University of Technology Sydney 2018Read more
"The Philippines is, without a doubt, my favourite country..."
Niamh Doran, Dundee University 2018Read more