Asia boasts some of the world’s finest beaches, paradise islands, modern cities and delectable cuisines - not to mention it’s a hugely traditional continent steeped in history. We have some incredible countries for you to choose from for your healthcare elective in Asia.
The skills and experience you gain from traveling abroad can give you life-long personal benefits - add to that a better understanding of global healthcare and you’re ticking off professional development too. With so much choice and so much diversity, how do you go about picking which country is the right one for you, when considering an elective in Asia?
Typically a Work the World placement runs Monday to Friday (however if you want to experience weekend shifts, this is certainly something we can organise for you). Therefore outside of placement you’ll have plenty of time in the evenings and weekends to explore your chosen destination.
Get to know our Work the World Asian programmes in a little more detail...
Vietnam is located in Southeast Asia. We are based in the city of Hue, a vibrant city on the banks of the Perfume River. Hue is a lively university city, packed full of bars, food markets and is a hop skip and jump to some of Vietnam's most stunning beaches. Travel further afield to discover stunning train journeys along the coast, natural springs and cascading waterfalls.
Our house in Hue offers a peaceful retreat from the bustle of the city. The house has beautiful airy rooms, a swimming pool, stunning gardens - it’s an oasis of calm, and before you realise, it will have become your home away from home. Located within walking distance to the famous Imperial City and close to some of the city's best bars, markets, temples, and street food vendors.
Most popular student trips:
- Halong Bay - A beautiful natural wonder, known for its emerald waters and stunning islands topped by rainforests. Take a boat tour around this picturesque bay, try some scuba diving, rock climbing or even hiking.
- Da Nang - Jump on the train from Hue and take a scenic journey through the mountains to the coastal city of Da Nang. Here, you’ll find stunning beaches with crystal clear seas.
- Bach Ma National Park - Not far from Hue, this stunning park reaches a peak of 1450m. Swim in clear waters at the foot of cascading waterfalls or trek the heady heights of Bach Ma itself.
The Philippines consists of over 7500 islands and is located in Southeast Asia. Our programme is based in the city of Iloilo on the island of Panay. The city itself offers beaches, scenic countryside sights, and delicious street food markets. Let’s not forget the famous flipiono tradition of karaoke - so karaoke bars are aplenty here.
Iloilo truly is the perfect jumping off point to discover the wonders of the Philippines outside of placement. From island hopping, hiking volcanoes, swimming with whale sharks to stumbling upon one of the hundreds of incredible festivals that happen year round.
Our house in Iloilo is in a very central location, close to the city’s most popular bars, markets and restaurants. The port is also close by, making it very easy to discover other nearby islands. With beautiful airy rooms and a roof terrace overlooking the Iloilo River, our Work the World house is an oasis of calm.
Most popular student trips:
- Boracay Island - You can’t get much more picture postcard than this. Voted one of the world’s top destinations for relaxation, Boracay has stunning tropical beaches backed by palm trees, bars and restaurants. If watersports are your thing, you’ll be spoilt for choice.
- Islas de Gigantes - This remote group of islands has beautiful seascapes and a laid-back island lifestyle. Take a tour around all the islands on a half day boat trip and enjoy the fantastic restaurants (and views) offering ample fresh seafood and delicious cocktails.
- Cebu - From white-sand beaches, rugged inland mountains and the vibrant city of Cebu whether you’re seeking adventure or some R&R, Cebu has something for everyone. Discover stunning waterfalls and if you’re feeling brave enough why not go swimming with whale sharks?
- Antique - Famous for its Kawa Hot Bath - this is an absolute must try and the perfect way to unwind. Take a short boat ride to the stunning Seco Island too.
Nepal is located in South Asia and is sandwiched between Tibet and India. We have a programme in the capital city of Kathmandu.
In Nepal you will find the highest mountains on earth, The Himalayas - you’ll discover rare wildlife and you’ll meet some of the world’s friendliest people. From trekking (followed by incredibly cheap massages to soothe those aching muscles), to backpacker bars, golden temples and charming hillside villages - there is something for everyone.
Our house in Kathmandu is in a friendly residential area in a very central location. You’ll be close to our partner hospitals and you’ll have easy access to the city's best bars and restaurants.
Most popular student trips:
- Kathmandu - An intricate maze of narrow streets, incredible temples and palaces including Durbar Square and Monkey Temple, through to restaurants serving a wide range of cuisines. The Thamal area is packed with shops selling clothing, trekking equipment and Nepalese handicrafts and is full of bars offering live music. Why not treat yourself to a flight around the biggest mountain on earth - Mount Everest!
- Pokhara - This charming city feels more like a large town. Located on the edge of Lake Phewa, Pokhara offers stunning views, rich history and a very laid back atmosphere. It’s known as a gateway to the Annapurna Circuit, a popular trail in the Himalayas. Hire boats to set sail on Lake Phewa, or if you fancy some adrenaline fun - paraglide over the lake for stunning views or take a trip down the nearby whitewater rapids.
- Trekking - You’ll be spoilt for choice in terms of trekking in Nepal. Treks vary in terms of durations and abilities - there really is something for everyone. Choose from Everest Base Camp, Poon Hill , Kathmandu Valley, Annapurna Base Camp Trek - the list goes on and on and on…
- Chitwan National Park - A popular safari park where you may spot the very rare single-horned rhinoceros or Bengal tiger if you’re lucky! Take canoe rides through crocodile infested waters and enjoy sundowners outside your lodge whilst listening to the jungle noises around you.
Sri Lanka is located in South Asia, often referred to as the teardrop of India in the Indian Ocean. Our programme is based in the bustling city of Kandy, known for its tea plantations, rainforests and the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic.
Sri Lanka has beautiful beach resorts that line its extensive coast, temples and fortresses; tea plantations and wildlife-rich parks and reserves where elephants and leopards roam free.
Our house in Kandy is situated in the heart of the city, with stunning views over Kandy Lake. There is a lively social atmosphere, but there’s plenty of space to escape for a quiet moment.
Most popular student trips:
- Safari - Whether it be by land, foot or even the sky (hot air balloon rides are available outside of monsoon season), safaris in Sri Lanka operate year-round and are packed with an abundance of wildlife. Get up and close to the Asian elephant, leopards and even the sloth bear.
- Train ride - Jump aboard what has previously been described as the world's most scenic train ride from Ella to Kandy. This 7 hour ride will take you through lush thick jungle, tea plantations and cascading waterfalls.
- Beaches - With over 800 miles of coastline there are many stunning beaches in Sri Lanka, some with great surf, others with calm crystal clear waters. Firm favourites are Negombo, Galle and Dalawella.
- Sigiriya Fortress - Also known as Lion Rock, this ancient rock fortress is located near the town of Dambulla. Rising from the jungle, this spectacular scene is not to be missed. Hike to the top to explore ancient ruins and the breathtaking views over the forests and lakes.
Our Elective Consultants will be able to talk you through all our programmes in more detail, if you would like them to get in touch, please fill out the short form. To see our full range of destinations click here.