Africa is a large continent in every sense and we have three incredible countries for you to choose from for your elective in Africa.
World travel is one of the most valuable experiences a person can have. Living, working and experiencing another country and culture, delivers a perspective that is offered by no other experience. On an elective in Africa, you’ll see things that others have never seen, not even seasoned travellers.
Typically a Work the World placement runs Monday to Friday (however if you want to experience weekend shifts, this is certainly something we can organise for you). Therefore outside of placement you’ll have plenty of time in the evenings and weekends to explore your chosen destination.
So how do you choose which country to pick for your elective in Africa? Get to know our Work the World African programmes...
Ghana is located in West Africa along the Gulf of Guinea and the Atlantic Ocean. We are based in the city of Takoradi (our longest running Work the World programme) - about a 4 hour drive along the coast from the capital city of Accra. If you’ve not been to Africa before, Ghana is perfect for that first visit. Outside of placement, take advantage of the stunning coastline, lush jungles, and lively Ghanaian culture.
Our big blue house in Takoradi has its own private swimming pool and is located in a quiet residential area, close to some great Ghanian markets, bars and of course the beach! Ghana is about a 6 hour flight from the UK and conveniently has only a +1 hour time difference.
Most popular student trips:
- Kakum National Park - Trek through the forest canopy, spot wildlife from tree tops, and if you’re brave enough you can even spend the night in a treehouse
- Cape Coast Castle - Take a guided tour through the 17th century slave forts and find out more about the dark, but fascinating history of the slave trade
- Mole National Park - Located further North, from here you can go on safari to spot elephants, lions and baboons
- The Gold Coast - Sun-soaked sandy shores, beach resorts are a-plenty with Axim Beach being a favourite with our students
Tanzania is an East African country on the Indian Ocean. Dar es Salaam is where our Tanzanian programme is based; a cosmopolitan bustling city and the perfect jumping off point to explore this incredible country. Outside of placement you’ll be spoilt for choice in terms of once-in-a-lifetime travel experiences. From picture postcard white-sand beaches to some of the most incredible safari parks in the world.
Our house in Dar es Salaam has its own private pool as well as being only a stone’s throw from the Indian Ocean. You can visit traditional Maasai craft markets, discover laid-back bars, and catch boats going on whale-watching and snorkelling trips. A direct flight to Dar es Salaam from the UK will take you less than 12 hours and our house is conveniently located close to the airport. The time difference is +2 hours - so no jet lag!
Most popular student trips:
- Zanzibar - Just an hour from Dar es Salaam, Zanzibar’s stunning beaches and turquoise waters are a mecca for divers, backpackers and party-goers
- Safari - Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Tarangire, Lake Manyara and Mikumi - what a choice! All members of the ‘Big 5’ can be found at these various parks and reserves. You’ll also get the opportunity to spot huge herds of wildebeest as they traverse its plains during their annual migration
- Mount Kilimanjaro - The highest mountain in Africa. A guided trek to the summit will take between 4-7 days. If you’ve the time to add this onto the beginning or end of your trip, this is an experience not to be missed
Zambia is a landlocked country located in Southern Africa. The capital city of Lusaka is where our programme is based. Outside of placement there are endless opportunities to explore this incredible country. Zambia is packed full of beautiful lakes, mighty wetlands and wildlife; not to mention the welcoming Zambian people who’ll make this a trip to remember.
Our house in Lusaka sports its own private swimming pool, and couldn’t be better positioned, with the heart of the city only minutes away. A flight to Lusaka from the UK will take you about 12 hours and our house is conveniently a hop, skip and jump from the airport. The time difference is only +1 hour.
Most popular student trips:
Victoria Falls - One of the wonders of the natural world, marvel at the huge clouds of spray rising up into the air. Capture that perfect Instagram shot by having a dip in the famous Devil’s Pool
Livingstone - This relaxed and friendly town is very close to the Victoria Falls and offers everything for adrenaline seekers; from white water rafting and bungee jumping to microlight flights over the famous Falls
Walking Safaris - immerse yourself completely in the pristine wilderness of the many national parks and reserves Zambia has to offer - there’s no better way than on foot. Zambezi River - Drift along and discover the blue Zambezi River. There is plenty of big game here too, as well as game drives, nature walks and canoe safaris
Chobe National Park - Why not tick two African countries off your list? You can pop over the border to Botswana and spend the night in Chobe National Park. You may even be lucky enough to spot the endangered white rhino!
Our Elective Consultants will be able to talk you through all our programmes in more detail, if you would like them to get in touch, please fill out the short form below. To see our full range of destinations click here.
Read our latest blog about our placements in Asia here.