ANURADHAPURA AND BEYOND
- Anuradhapura is… ‘A UNESCO World Heritage site rich in Buddhist history, culture and breathtaking natural beauty.’
- Explore the city’s candlelit Buddhist temples by night and get blessed by local monks
- Go tea picking in the plantations, spot wildlife on safari, and take scenic train journeys through the hills
- Soak up sun on paradise beaches and swim with reef sharks and sea turtles
- Sri Lankan’s are a light-hearted people. You’ll be encouraged to join in local traditions, festivities and feasts
- Ayurveda Week: Spend an extra week learning about herbal medicine in a village’s Ayurvedic clinic
team AND accommodation
The Anuradhapura house is located on a tree-lined street in a charming neighbourhood in this historical city. There’s an indoor courtyard on the ground floor and an outdoor rooftop where you can relax with a book and sunbathe in a hammock after placement. A hub of activity, there are comfortable bedrooms as well as well-furnished communal chill-out areas where you can socialise with new friends.
Your Programme Manager and their assistant run the house and will provide 24/7 support. You’ll also have a housekeeper, a chef who’ll cook you two incredible meals every day (weekly BBQ nights are a lot of fun), and a language teacher who hosts lessons twice a week.
In addition to your main placement in Anuradhapura, spending a week at our Ayurveda experience really is an experience you will never forget.
While living in Sri Lanka you'll notice that many people combine modern healthcare with more traditional treatments, such as Ayurvedic medicine. Each morning you’ll head to the small rural clinic where you’ll learn the ancient art of Ayurveda. The doctor is a skilled healer who creates medicines from plants and barks found in the forest. Each afternoon you’ll take part in cultural activities such as canoe trips through the jungle, ox and cart rides, wild elephant safaris and full body massages at Ayurvedic spas.
Electives in Sri Lanka - Anuradhapura
"The lack of privacy and confidentiality offered to patients was a shock..."
Faizah Jamil, University of Birmingham 2018Read more
"I even attended a clinic at a local prison with the hospital’s Psychiatric Consultant."
Bethan Mcelroy, Anglia Ruskin University 2018Read more
"I definitely would not have had the same experience anywhere else."
Fae Bellouere, London South Bank University 2018Read more
"I helped form treatment plans, made splints, and carried out assessments within my professional limitations."
Gemma Fryer, Coventry University 2018Read more
"There will be a time in your life when you look back and regret not jumping at this opportunity."
Rishona Wilson, City University London 2018Read more